Get ready to whisk, sift and frost with Kara! Enjoy our new You Tube channel, BAKING WITH KARA!! Featuring instructional video, recipes and baking tips. Subscribe to the link below and learn how to make delicious sweet treats!
See full recipe below.
KARA’S CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 oz of unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 6 oz of bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. Set oven for 350 degrees with 2 racks. Gather cupcake liners and cupcake pan and an ice cream scoop.
- Sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in mixing bowl with a flat beater
- With the mixer on low speed, cream butter and add sugar. Beat for 2-3 min until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at time, beating well for 2-3 min and scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Pour the hot coffee over the chocolate and let melt for a few minutes. Let mixture cool.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the hot coffee chocolate mixture and buttermilk vanilla mixture in thirds.
- When all has been incorporated, mix well on low speed for 1 -2 minutes.
- Use an ice cream scoop and fill lined cupcake liners 90% full.
- Bake 20 min or until toothpick comes out clean or cake springs back when touched. Each oven is different… a few min more or less may be needed. (display at bottom of screen)
- Allow to cool for 10 min on a bakers rack.
- De-pan the cupcakes and set aside for frosting.
KARA’S CHOCOLATE BUTTER CREAM- yields 24 cupcakes
- 1 oz. Water
- 6 oz. Egg Whites
- 4.5 oz. Sugar
- 1 lb. 4 oz Butter
- 6 oz. (melted) Chocolate
- 4.5 oz. Sugar
- In a saucepan heat water and 4.5 oz sugar to firm ball stage (250*F or 120*C), making a sugar syrup.
- Meanwhile, begin whipping the egg whites to medium firm peaks while adding gradually the remaining sugar in 2 additions. This will help create film peaks.
- With the mixer on high, pour the sugar syrup into the whites in a thin stream aiming for the side of the bowl. Reduce the speed to medium and beat until meringue cools and stiffens, 5 minutes
- On high, beat the butter in 4 additions; incorporate each before adding the other. Once incorporated add the room temp, melted chocolate and whip until smooth
DECORATE AND ENJOY!